11.15.2011

About the Song Series: "First Christmas Away From Home" *To Be Released Friday, November 25th*

September 2001, I flew out to work at the Shelter City Youth Hostel in Amsterdam, Holland. It was something I'd wanted to do for some time - go and share the love of Jesus in practical ways smack-dab in the middle of "the red light district." (Why is another story.)
I was 19, and to put it simply, wasn't prepared for a lot of what I experienced there. I spent way more than my fair share of time in the tiny library on the landing, praying overwhelmed prayers.
The library was decorated with Christmas lights, which I took great comfort in from my first day on, because Christmas lights meant Christmas, and Christmas meant a time of peace, comfort, and safety in the arms of my dad, my mom, my family...


I spent my first Christmas season away from home at the Shelter. And I remember praying often leading-up-to and after Thanksgiving that Jesus would reveal to me how He could empathize with what I was feeling, being so far from all that was familiar - everything and everyone I knew at Christmastime.

This prayer got the sweetest answer. It changed the way I look at Christmas, and the great measure of Christ's love for us:Christmas Day was Jesus' very first day away from home. A place he would not return to for 33 years.
In the name of Love, Jesus stepped out from under the Perfect Light of heaven and all He ever knew. He left the safe arms of His Father and ever-glorious swelling songs of the angels...
And He was born into our dark world under a quiet sky, to people He did not know.
His sacrifice of love that first Christmas night was beyond measure. And, He did it perfectly...
....
For anyone spending a Christmas away from home: a soldier; a student; a missionary...or maybe, someone who is missing someone precious this Holiday season, Jesus empathizes with this heartache so intimately. He loves us. He is with us...we are never alone..."Immanuel."
He loves you.
He is with you.
You are never alone...
"Immanuel."

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Pauline. And the "why" story another day? Looking forward to the 25th! Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome way to put the holidays into perspective!

    ReplyDelete